CLLIP: Culture and Language Learning in Paraguay Program
Application Deadline is May 1st!
The Culture and Language Learning in Paraguay Program (CLLIP) is a Fulbright Hays Group Study Abroad Project funded by the U. S. Department of Education and sponsored by the Kansas State Department of Education and Pittsburg State University.
Eighteen Spanish and area studies teachers, junior and senior university level Spanish education candidates, and Spanish teacher education faculty will participate in a thirty day Spanish language and culture experience in Asunción, Paraguay. The program is scheduled for July 6 through August 4, 2007.
Participants will attend 80 hours of Spanish language and culture classes taught by highly qualified, native language instructors. Participants will observe at Colegios (K-12 schools) to learn new methodologies and instructional strategies. CLLIP program participants will work together to create language and culture lesson plans and that will be placed on the Kansas State Department of Education website.
Participants will attend lectures on history, culture, and/or political and economic issues, presented by local professionals in their fields. Field trips to museums and historic sites will enhance cultural experiences and knowledge. Additionally, participants will conduct interviews and write ten ethnographies.
On weekends, participants will have an opportunity to travel to historic and cultural sites outside of Asunción including travel to Foz de Iguazu, Brazil and Buenos Aires, Argentina (at their own expense).
The CLLIP Fulbright Hays Group Study Abroad grant will fund:
• Air travel from Kansas City to Asunción and return to Kansas City
• Lodging with a host family including a private bath
• Two meals per day (when in Asunción)
• Some laundry service
• Tuition and materials for the Spanish language institute, cultural lectures and activities
• Transportation to and from the language institute during the week
Participants will be responsible for:
• Travel to and from Kansas City International Airport
• Airport Exit Tax in Asuncion $25.00
• Visa for Paraguay $65.00 + mailing fees
• Passport, if you do not already have one $90.00
• Health and Repatriation Insurance $75 (more or less depending upon the age of the participant). Your private health insurance is not accepted in Paraguay.
• Some meals
• Optional weekend transportation around Asunción and optional weekend travel
• Optional shopping and souvenirs
• Optional undergraduate and graduate credit, which is available from Pittsburg State University
If you have questions about the CLLIP program or would like to have an application, please contact Dr. Alice Sagehorn at 620-235-4499 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filed under: Teacher Exchange |