Paraguay-Kansas Family Medicine Partnership
This years Kansas-Paraguay annual meeting celebrated the more than 25 years of the family practice exchange between Paraguay and Kansas. This long-standing program of the University of Kansas School of Medicine @ Wichita (KUSM-Wichita) and the Paraguay Academy of Family Physicians is one of the best-kept secrets in Kansas. It shouldn’t be.
The results of this program are amazing and include:
- 27 medical students from Kansas have participated in an international elective in Paraguay
- Increased family practice residency programs in Paraguay from 1 to 7
- Increased Paraguayan family practice residents from 15 to 120 per year.
- Postgraduate training to practicing physicians in rural Paraguay
- Assisted financially in renovating a family medicine facility at the university medical complex in Asuncion.
- Purchased high speed computer for the Family Medicine Center in Asuncion to access online literature
- Provided curriculum and precepting models for predoctoral family medicine community experiences in Paraguay.
This is an impressive list of accomplishments and a lot of “bang for the buck.” The success of this program is directly attributable to the volunteers at KUSM-Wichita and Kansas City, the dedication of KPP member Merrill Raber and Partners of the Americas.
CONGRATULATION UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS SCHOOL OF MEDICINE @ WICHITA!!